Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Square peg, meet round hole

I know this sounds really cliché, but I just don't fit in.  No matter where I go, I don't seem to fit in with anyone.  I am Muslim, so I don't feel like I fit in with many Americans, and how they view Muslims.  I am tatted and pierced, so I don't fit in at my mosque.  I am straight edge, so I don't fit in with people who drink, smoke or do drugs.

I was at the mall the other day with my daughter, and there is a tat place there.  I wanted so badly to go inside.  But I was afraid they wouldn't let me in with my daughter, because of her age.  And also, I was afraid that they would look at me funny, since I wear hijab and all.  So what do I do?  I like wearing my hijab.  One reason is because I want people to see that Muslims are not like what you see on TV, and that we have piercings too, and can be cool as hell, not some strict boring do nothing for fun people. 

How do I show people that I can be tatted and pierced, and still be a good Muslim?  How do I show people that I am a good American, and a good Muslim?  Not sure if I will ever find the answers.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

To my old self...

It's 4:10 am, and I cannot sleep.  I hate a quiet house.  My mind races in a quiet house.  And that is never good. I have come to the ...