I have noticed some of my convert American friends have changed their name to "Muslim" ones, whatever that means. I remember my husband, Salaam, and I went to go visit a friend of his recently. We got there, and I introduced myself to his friend and his friend's family as Sandy. I remember my husband's friends' wife was in the kitchen, making tea. I heard her say, "Um Salaam, Um Salaam." I didn't answer her, as I didn't think she was talking to me. She said again, "Um Salaam." My husband said, "She is talking to you." Ok, so that made me a little upset. Now I know Um Salaam means mother of Salaam. But I had introduced myself when we got there as Sandy. If she didn't remember my name, she could have called me 'sister". I AM NOT Um Salaam-I am SANDY. My mom gave me my name and I have NO intention of ever changing it. I would never dishonor my mom like that, and I happen to like my name. I am not Arab, I am not Um anything, I am Sandy...simply Sandy.
Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment